KC Farms link

We've moved! Find us now at www.pasturedeficitdisorder.com

You can still "Like" us at KCFarms on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/KCFarms

Monday, June 13, 2011

Urban homestead underway

So this weekend, we finally got a garden started at the new place.  We've missed a lot of growing season, but that's the beauty of living in Zone 8 - you have a long way to go before it starts getting chilly, let alone cold!  I'm actually early in terms of planting a fall garden.  :)  So we'll just see how it goes.

We dug out a small area and direct-sowed Roma beans, carrots and radishes.  Seeds started to be transplanted later are yellow squash, zucchini squash, cherry tomatoes, tomatoes, rosemary, acorn squash, banana peppers, bell peppers and jalapenos.

We love planting seeds and the exciting anticipation of them poking their little green heads through the soil.  Yes, I said exciting!  There's something very satisfying of growing something "from scratch".  Of course we're total nerds.  But who cares?  If something so simple brings us such pleasure - I think we're light years ahead of those who covet "stuff" in life.  We are very "earthy" people for sure.

My wonderful hubby was even scheming on how we could turn the two straggly lines on the clothesline into a modified "tent" greenhouse when things do start getting cooler - like a tall cold frame.

The hardest part will be keeping everything watered right now as it is scorching hot - we are flirting with setting new record highs every single day.  And nary a drop of rain in our future.

We finally found a spot where my basil seems relatively happy - near the front porch.  Nice, gentle full morning sun, but protection in the brutal afternoons.  I went to cut some basil yesterday for my fresh pasta salad I made for lunches this week and hubby said to give her a good haircut, as she was getting overgrown.  So now we have a bunch sitting in a bowl on the counter - I like that almost as much as a vase of flowers - and she still needs to be cut back more.  I see a batch of fresh pesto in our future!  Don't have any pine nuts, but I'll use a few walnuts.  Need to unearth an ice tray so that I can freeze cubes of pesto for future use...especially when my basil is long gone and I crave that fresh taste of summer.  Can one each too much fresh basil?  I just don't think that's possible.

Stay tuned for news of sprouting...

No comments:

Post a Comment