KC Farms link

We've moved! Find us now at www.pasturedeficitdisorder.com

You can still "Like" us at KCFarms on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/KCFarms

Monday, August 8, 2011

Writing practice

I've always had a strong desire to write.  My wonderful hubby thinks I should, as voracious a reader as I am.

In searching for ideas/prompts, I ran across this one today:  pick a place and write about daybreak in that specific location, inventing any pertinent details.

So I imagined myself living on the piece of land we would love to live on more than anything and wrote the two descriptive paragraphs below.  It's not much, but it's a start.   And I can see and feel myself there.

******

The sun is almost ready to peek over the horizon.  I’ve already been to the barn and finished feeding the chickens and goats.  Dogs and cats at the house are next.  But first I step out onto the porch with my cup of coffee, ready to welcome the first liquid rays of sunlight.  It’s the first frosty morning of the year. My flannel work shirt is cozy and I wrap my hands around my mug and watch the rising steam sail up from my much needed caffeine fix.

Finally, like a huge glowing ball of orange honey, the sun starts to show itself - almost shy at first, and then quite proud.  The whole countryside, as far as I can see takes on the orange-pink glow of that first morning light.  It shimmers across the leaves of the pecan trees in the orchard across the road, making them look like a stage full of golden dancers.  The rooster next door starts to crow as my little corner of the world comes alive once more.

2 comments:

  1. I just love it - and I could picture the morning beginning slowly coming to life.

    I love the whole thing, but your use of descriptive words in the second paragraph really brought the morning to life for me. "Finally, like a huge glowing ball of orange honey, the sun starts to show itself - almost shy at first, and then quite proud." and "It shimmers across the leaves of the pecan trees in the orchard across the road, making them look like a stage full of golden dancers. " are my favorites.

    Yes, I agree with your husband. You are a writer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unlike me ..... :) That first sentence made absolutely no sense whatsoever..... but I think you know what I meant.

    ReplyDelete