KC Farms link

We've moved! Find us now at www.pasturedeficitdisorder.com

You can still "Like" us at KCFarms on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/KCFarms

Monday, October 3, 2011

It's hard work, but we wouldn't trade it for anything

Whew!  We're tired.  Recovering from sore muscles again after working on the homestead this weekend.  Holy cow that's hard work, but we wouldn't trade it for anything.  We worked on the front fence line on Saturday.  It was horribly overgrown! I don't think that fence had been maintained since it was installed.   There were a few small trees that will cause huge problems being right in the fence in the future, so they had to go.  And whatever that ultra-thorny vine crud is...my husband calls it Devil's Claw.  We don't know if that's the right name or not, however it is VERY appropriate.  It's everywhere and just rips you to shreds if you're not careful!  They should use that instead of razor wire!  Here are some before and after pics.

Before









After









Here's a couple of pictures of our favorite trees - Texas pecans!



Still discovering muscles I didn't know I had each time we're out there.  J

Hopefully this week they'll start working on installing our water meter!  And if we could only get even a few drops of rain...

In the kitchen this weekend, I made up another batch of black bean, corn and avocado salsa for football watching.  It has become a favorite weekend staple.  My wonderful hubby loves it when I start throwing stuff together and making it up as I go.  It's good with chips, good on burgers, just plain good.  I really love eating potato skins when it's football season...but ever since I had the three week stomach virus this spring, I cannot each potatoes.  It's the weirdest darn thing.  They make me sick to my stomach.  I didn't realize home much I loved potatoes until I couldn't eat them.  That was always a quick standby meal too...pop a potato in the microwave and top it with whatever you can find.  Sigh.  I can eat sweet potatoes still.  Yay!  We found sweet potato fries at Costco, so they are now a staple in our freezer.

Yesterday I made a huge pasta salad for my lunches this week.  Those Lean Cuisine frozen meals are convenient and not very expensive, but I've just gotten burned out on them.  In my pasta salad, I use tri-colored rotini and whatever vegetables I have on hand.  This time it was yellow and zucchini squash fresh from the garden, carrots, baby spinach, artichoke hearts, fresh basil from the window sill and sun dried tomatoes.  Then I make my own Italian dressing - I have a dry mix that I make ahead of time that has garlic powder, onion salt, celery salt, oregano, thyme, basil, rosemary, parsley, salt and pepper (I think that's everything).  I add two tablespoons of that to 2/3 cup of oil (I used 1/3 olive oil and 1/3 walnut oil) and 1/4 cup of vinegar (I used white balsamic vinegar).  I shake it together really well in my salad dressing bottle and toss it with the pasta and veggies.  Finally, I added some rotisserie chicken to my serving for lunch today.  YUM!  It's really good with some crackers.  For dessert I'm having some of our canned peaches.

I also made homemade tortilla soup last night.  It's so fast and easy, but we haven't had it in a long time for some reason.  We've started serving it over brown rice instead of tortilla chips.  It's really good, gives it some substance, works in good for us brown rice and cuts the fat that would be consumed with a bowl full of crushed tortilla chips.  It's so yummy topped with cheese, sliced avocado and sour cream.

And finally, last night I finished the loom-knitted scarf I made for one of my nieces for Christmas.  I even added some yarn fringe to the ends...that was quite an adventure with Gracie the total predator cat sitting in my lap.

Until next time, worms rule.





Copyright © 2011. All rights reserved.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a difference in the fence line. It looks great, and I can see why you are so sore!

    The black bean, corn, avocado salsa sounds really good. So does your pasta salad. I haven't made a pasta salad in a long time, and now you've got me craving it!

    ReplyDelete