KC Farms link

We've moved! Find us now at www.pasturedeficitdisorder.com

You can still "Like" us at KCFarms on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/KCFarms

Monday, November 21, 2011

If home is where your heart is...

...then we know exactly where our home is for the holidays!  We so enjoy our time on our little homestead.  This weekend, we even decorated the front gate for Christmas.   It looks awesome.  I would love to find some solar powered Christmas lights to add to it.















We've been cutting up the trees we've felled for firewood that needs to find a home.  But several of the last trees we took down had such beautiful wood inside, my wonderful hubby is now rethinking how we cut up some of the rest of them.  We may cut them into chunks that would make good boards for wood projects.  I knew immediately, of course, that he's going to need a planer added to our tool collection.  :)

We had another little sprinkle of rain last week and the rye grass we planted sure perked up.  We only wish all the bare spots looked like this:











Saturday's work day was pretty tough.  It was in the 80s again and the humidity felt about the same.  I had to keep sitting down with ice packs because my face was beet red and I was getting overheated.  I didn't feel bad, but we've learned that when I start looking like that, if I don't cool back down, I'll be sick the rest of the weekend. 

Here's a picture of me with two our neighbor's horses. 

We gave them some carrots again Saturday - we're gonna be their best friends if we keep that up.  The one in the photo with me is quite the spoiled girl...she'll only eat the bottom third of the carrot (the skinny tender end).  Any other portion she just spits out!  Her "mom" was mortified when we told her.   It was so funny.  Our neighbors, Sarah and Vernon, are just the nicest, kindest people!!  We can't wait to live out there.  It's that kind of kinship and the gracious spirit of folks that appreciate country living that we are looking forward to...folks that understand why you clean your fence lines, learn to grow things, learn to fix things and learn to do for yourself.  They will undoubtedly be a valuable source of info as we get closer to moving out there since they've just done it all over the last five years.

Well, it's Thanksgiving week, and we have so much to be thankful for.  It's been a really tough year for us, but we still have many, many blessings.  Most of all, my wonderful hubby and I have each other, and crazy furry kids.  And our worms.  :)  We positively love our little piece of Texas soil we've been able to purchase and look forward the the many lessons and rewards we will receive through it.

Until next time, wishing your and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving - please take the time to think of all the people and critters that make your lives rich and full...the rest of it is just stuff.

Copyright © 2011. All rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. Awwww. I love the picture of you with the horses! And the gate to your homestead looks so festive and welcoming. I know y'all are working hard on your property - it's very rewarding, isn't it? I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a nice family get together this week. I bet the homestead was glad for the extra rain this weekend.

    ReplyDelete